Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a third reminder payment of 60 euro from a company in

Customer Question

I have a third reminder payment of 60 euro from a company in Germany qr-code generator. it is for a renewal of subscription that we don't want. They have told us they need a months notice which we did not give them so we still have to pay for the full years subscription. I now have a last demand for payment letter and threatening court action but I am in dispute so if I don't pay what happens. D o I have to pay?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: The demand letter is from Germany and I live in New Zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet they are saying quote" Please note after deadline expiration of this reminder we will initiate immediate debt collection procedures which will insure even more cost to you"
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats it. thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

I think ignore them. The cost of litigating this would greatly exceed and claim they may get in court. If you were not told of the notice period, or it was hidden deep in the small print of their terms and conditions, then this is a defnce in any event. The Fair Trading Act says that requirements like this must be made known, and are not enforceable if they are hidden in lenghty terms of a contract.

They would need to file a case in a court in New Zealand and I doubt that 60 euro is worth that as the filing fees exceed this