Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Do0 the beneficiaries of an estate have a right to view the

Customer Question

Do0 the beneficiaries of an estate have a right to view the statement of assets and liabilities of the deceased as at the date of death, both for probate purposes and distribution?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Probate granted and final distribution about to made but the solicitor acting for the trustees claimed that they have no obligation to produce such a statement to the beficiaries
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

The beneficiaries under a will do not have any automatic right to see the details of the estate. The executor of the estate is not compelled to provide a detailed list of assets and liabilities, and only has to account to the beneficiaries with a statement showing the amounts gathered in, and the shares according to the will. In a practical way, it would be helpful to provide those details, because of this came to litigation you could obtain those details. I am not sure why the solicitor is refusing to provide the details, unless he is under instructions from the executor.