Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

L'm about to lease my car yard for the first time and would

Customer Question

l'm about to lease my car yard for the first time and would like to know very briefly what l will be responsible for as a landlord.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: excellent state
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My SALES MANAGER is going to lease it for 5+ 5 years.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Apart from supplying a leakproof building what are my responsibilities?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Normally a commercial lease uses one of the standard form leases such as the Law Society form. This sets out a comprehensive list of obligations of the tenant and landlord. You can agree on many areas, but the common parts are that the operating expenses such as rates and insurance are to be paid by you, but collected as part of the rental from the tenant. So the building would be insured by you, but the tenant will need to arrange his own insurance with regard to his property on the leased premises. Generally maintenance for major issues is something for the landlord, but the tenant will often want their own layout, and in some cases will be responsible for reinstatement after the end of the lease.