Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

My lawyer obtained a Temporary Border Alert for my son. I

My lawyer obtained a Temporary Border Alert for my son. I note that the border alert states that the requesting lawyer commits to file an application with the Court for an Order Preventing Removal of my son within the next 14 days. Due to costs involved, I am not prepared for my lawyer to proceed with an application with the Court. Are there any consequences if I do not proceed with an application?

If the application is not made then the border alert will lapse. You can apply yourself without a lawyer if the cost is too much for you. An increasing number of people do appear for themselves in Family Court. Would that be useful?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is that the only consequence - the border alert will lapse? Can I then apply to the Court for an order preventing removal 2 months after the border alert has lapsed?

You can still apply but there is a risk the child will be removed in the intervening period