Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My partner and I have just split up and she refuses to give

Customer Question

My partner and I have just split up and she refuses to give me access without supervision. She is making up stories saying she can not trust me alone with her when everyone knows how good i am with her. I used to watch adult porn during our relationship and it really effected us. She would go through my phone and she pulled up a couple of photos of young girls that was screen shots from facebook.(nothing sexual) and i didnt know how they got on the phone. Anyway she accuses me and spins the story saying i look at child porn. Obsurd really!! I got counselling for the adult porn but she still spins her storys. I miss my daughter dearly and need help getting joint custody so I can see her all the time. Thank you please help me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.
If you cannot agree on contactvterms, the next step is FDR family mediation. In this process the terms of contact can be negotiated with the assistance of a trained family mediator. This can be organised without much fuss by contacting Fairway Resolution who will arrange the mediator.
There is a fee for this, and you do need to at least try to reach a mediated agreement, before you apply for patenting orders in the Family Court, which is your next step
Please ask if you have any questions or need contacts
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see us being able to sort this out civilly between us. It's far from mediation. I might have to go to the family Court. Is this where it gets pricey? What sort of help do i ask for at the family court? How long would it take to be able to get custody?
I am a big supporter of mediation and the success rate is about 80%. But if it really is not possible then you will need to instruct a family lawyer to file a parenting application and that is where this can be expensive. So consider trying mediation first. That can be set up within a few weeks. A Cory application will take 9 to 12 months at least.
A court application I mean
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK last message. So basically if my ex partner is keeping the baby from me there is nothing I can do until a court application goes through and that could take 9-12 months? Even with a lawyer? I really want to see my daughter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how can I make her do these courses of mediation?
It will take that long if you go to court. If you go to Fairway they will ask her to attend the mediation and the mediator will also ask her to attend