Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I got my roof re-roofed by a company called Able roofing,

Customer Question

Hi, I got my roof re-roofed by a company called Able roofing, the man in charge is called Graham Lax. I have now found out he has a track record of bad workmanship, but thats another story, have learnt to check people out first.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The roof is not complete and of terrible standard and is leaking etc.... I was under the assumption he was a professional roofer, unfortunately he is a cowboy. My roof has been butchered and he has taken all my money!
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, thats what I want to know about?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/69837412/north-shore-roofer-appears-in-court https://www.nocowboys.co.nz/businesses/Able-Roofing
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.
You should start by getting the roof examined by a roofing expert and ask for an estimate of what is needed to repair and bring your roof to a good standard. When you have this you should write to the roofer and demand he either repairs or pays the quote to get another roofer to get the roof to standard. If he refuses you would have a claim under the Consumer Guarantees Act to bring in either the District Court or the Disputes Tribunal if the quote is under $15,000
The acts says any work like this must be if good standard and you can claim under the act
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cheers, ***** ***** already obtained a quote off another roofer, so that is done. I have told him I don't won't him doing the repairs as he is not a professional and he has a track record of this, its not like its a first time or anything, he's a crook! I don't want him on my property or near my roof again, is that ok to do?Also, My problem now is, no roofer wants to touch the job as they don't want to be associated to him or his business. One of the expert roofers said "the only way we would do the job is if we started again and re-roofed so we could guarantee the work. I am pretty boned and don't know what to do!
You don't have to have him back. So I suggest you get several roofers to send you a letter stating only a full replacement is enough. Then start a claim in the appropriate court. This can be done before the repairs start, so you can see if he can pay any judgment
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** bit worried about how long that whole process could take. Also, after doing some investigating, I see he has lost before in small claims court and still hasn't paid up. Is winning and getting your money two different things? I have been threatening him today with legal action and he is saying he is willing to replace what needs to be replaced and reimburse me some money. I thought this might be the best solution as the longer I leave it the harder it will be for me to get any money?
If he has made that offer I would take it. Winning in court is definitely different from getting paid what the tribunal may award. So keep talking and you may get something