Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I signed a property agreement for my rental property to

Customer Question

I signed a property agreement for my rental property to managed for 1 year with the tennant also signed up for 1year.There is no clause to cancell.I am financily disadvantaged.And assigned another firm to take over .from them.And I have been told by phone call from the manager they want compensation 9 months. I don't understand it I am the owner and they are calling the shots.The rent is collected weekly and paid out minuse their fees which is high.The rents can't be guarenteed for a year anything can happen with the tennants circumstances.What do you think about this.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 14 days ago.

These contracts for property management sometimes have a clause about cancellation, but you say there is no clause here. But if the contract was for a year, then you would need a good reason to cancel the contract. Why did you decide to change to another firm?