Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am a NZ citizen who married a dual NZ citizen(SL). The

Customer Question

I am a NZ citizen who married a dual NZ citizen(SL). The wedding took place in Sri Lanka under the Sri Lankan law. We recently applied for a mutual NZ divorce under the NZ courts. I understand that i can not get married in Sri Lanka again without a SL divorce because they don't recognise the NZ divorce in Sri Lanka .My question is, am i able to legally remarry in NZ after i get divorced in NZ even though i am still legally married under SL law. The person i am marrying is a legally divorced SL citizen. Are there any issues of us getting married in NZ under NZ law?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

You will be getting married in New Zealand, and the New Zealand dissolution of marriage will be recognised under New Zealand law is sufficient to dissolve the Sri Lankan marriage, which will make your New Zealand subsequent marriage valid. I don't know much about Sri Lankan law, but most countries do recognise a divorce made under other countries laws. But in this case you certainly can legally remarry.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just want to confirm that i can legally remarry in NZ, even though i'm still legally married in SL. Sri Lanka doesn't recognise NZ divorce. Do i need to divorce in SL first or can i remarry here, as i will be divorced here?
Would there be any potential issues from a NZ point of view for my future wife , who is legally divorced in SL?

You certainly can legally marry here. The New Zealand registry office will recognise the New Zealand order dissolving the Sri Lankan marriage and permit your remarriage. It doesn't matter whether the order is recognised in Sri Lanka, because it is recognised in New Zealand and you are getting married here