Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I stayed in New Zealand for 6 years 2010 to 2016 and did my

Customer Question

Good Evening,
I stayed in New Zealand for 6 years 2010 to 2016 and did my post graduate in hotel management and worked there. I am 28 years old and have a question and would be very thankful for your advice. I was served a deportation notice from New Zealand Immigration recently and I voluntarily left the country back to my home country, India. Also I was discharged with conviction (penalty of 300 dollars ) due to my deportation status and abusive use of text message and touching hair ( common assualt) to a flatmate and I paid it before leaving.
My question is would I be ever able to come back to new zealand or go to australia ? I understand there is a spent time but I was not a resident of new zealand so does that apply on me ?
Also what if I have to work or study in other countries around the world such as US, Canada, Europe etc. Do they all have the records from New Zealand government and would my conviction be a problem in getting visa or getting rejected to enter any new country at airport even after getting visa?
Till how many years would I not be able to enter all the above mentioned countries and is there any way to get rid of this since all countries want a police clearance certificate from the last country if I go to study or work .
I would be greatful for your help and advice.
Kind Regards
Prash
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

For New Zealand if you have been deported you must wait for 5 years before you can reapply. Since you left voluntarily this will hep your application. However this position doesnt necessarily have any effect on other countries and the entry requirements. They will sometimes ask if you have ever been deported from another country or served with an order, but different countries have different requirements. They dont necessarily talk to Immigration in New Zealand and information is not always shared. They wont have records from New Zealand but you still must answer any questions about deportation accurately because if you dont declare this, if you are asked in the isa application, it could mean a subsequent check will see you deported for not declaring this