Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Just having some potential legal problems and going through

Customer Question

Hey there, just having some potential legal problems and going through this website to get some insight and advice
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in New Zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not 100% sure, from what I know that the people against me have gone to the police. But thats what a friend told me http://www.justanswer.com/newzealand-law/8t0wr-falsely-accused-domestic-violence-based.html I am just on this page as I am in a similar situation...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will someone be calling me?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hi

Let me know what sort of issues you need help with

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey Chris,I'm being falsely accused for domestic violence from my ex girlfriend. I'm really worried and need advice... From what I know she has gone to the cops about this and even brought it up to my work

Have you been asked by the police to go for an interview as yet? They can ask you to do so but you do not have to say anything of course. Has she asked for a protection order through the Family Court? Are you still living in the same property?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No contact from police yet and we do not live together anymore. She and her aunty are trying to ruin my life and I have no idea what to do
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her aunty had issued me a trespassing notice 2 weeks ago and o Friday they went to my work and to the police....

So far, are you only hearing rumours about what she is doing? Are you keeping in contact with her or have you stopped taking her calls and texts? Are the children involved?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
far it is rumors. I have stopped all form of communication. Everything I have heard is either from my boss or friends who I have asked to contact her and try calm her down. Fortunately I do not have any children with the witch.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am trying to become a NZ Citizen and she knows by doing this will ruin all my chances...My job is already on the line as well

You can of course defend any criminal charges which have been brought. You should tell your employers that the allegations are false, (I expect you have already said so) and that you will be defending any such charges if they are brought. You will need to be very careful if the police contact you, and I would suggest you contact a lawyer if they want to interview you. Is this violence alleged to be physical?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have told them the truth but they have brought up evidence of my nasty text messages I sent to her when I got angry....I am being portrayed as a violent person and she is digging all kinds of dirt to add on the claims. She is blaming me for an accident that happened to her and saying that I intentionally wanted to hurt her.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Back in March/May (around that time) she slipped and hit her head on my car when she was getting out. We had an argument and I was holding her hand so she wouldn't leave and tried calming her down but she ran out and hit her head and got a concussion from it. She is telling everyone that I got out of my car and beat her in the head.....

Are there children or property to be divided?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No children nor do we own any property together. She is 19 and I am 20

She obviously didnt complain at that time, so the delay will not help her complaint. Did she seek medical help at the time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We continuing being in a relationship after that incident.. no one in their right mind would want to date someone who would beat them...it was an accident and I am getting blamed for it. She went to the hospital with her aunty. I was not allowed to go with them. Not sure what it says on the medical records
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have the funds, time or resources to go to court or make this continue any longer...Just wanted your advice to see if the court would want to proceed this...I am in such a vulnerable position. She is going to people who hate me and getting statements from them....

It is difficult to say whether the court will want to proceed on these allegations. The police may be a little reluctant to proceed on old allegations, but the text messages may be a problem for you. But the police will often late charges for domestic violence believing the person who complains, but you have a full opportunity to defend the case. If you cannot afford a lawyer you can apply for legal aid if you are charged

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should I do with the statements from people who hate me? Should I get character references from people who know me?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There have been threatening messages from my side to her and she has quit her job and saying that I don't make her feel safe. She suffers from anxiety and depression and her family has a history of mental illnesses and I think she is trying to destroy me purely out of hate.

If you are charged by the police then you could get references. The other possibility would be to try and mediate any remaining disputes, which could include an offer by you not to contact her, or have your friends contact her, and have a mutual noncontact agreement

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have already done that but I feel as if it's not enough. They are both crazy and trying to ruin my life. Worst part is that she was physically abused by her father and the cops had to be called in but she didn't do anything about it and not press charges... I wonder if I could bring that up when the police interview me?

You need to be careful when you talk to the police because they will not want to hear about her history. They will accuse you of victim blaming, so it could turn wrong for you. You're best just saying to the police that you deny any violence both in the past and that you don't want to contact her in the future. At best you could say that you think she is a bit fragile, caused by her family history but that this was not caused by you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anything else you think I should say? Because I really want the cops to know that I don't want to do anything with her in my life again and leave it all where it is. This is just way out of hand....

You could suggest that the police talk to friends of yours, who knew you a couple and could comment on the allegations of violence.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alright, thank you for your advice. Will keep you posted if the police contact me

Sure, glad to help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Chris, So I got a call from the cops today saying that they will be getting someone to get in touch with me within a couple of weeks... Any advice on what I should do?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

You will need to wait and use the time to instruct a lawyer to go with you to the police. I can suggest lawyers, but dont know your city

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I live in Auckland. How much are they usually? Just asking cause I don't have access to much funds
There are ranges of prices but for just an interview no more than $4 to $500
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you please recommend me who I should go to. Thank you

http://www.lawyerhelp.co.nz/

http://www.graemenewell.co.nz/

The first does help with fixed fees and Graeme is very experienced but may not be as cheap