Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Can my employer tell me to get a portrait photo taken to be

Customer Question

Can my employer tell me to get a portrait photo taken to be added to an organisation chart. No further information given other than told it was non negotiable.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

I am reading this now

Although this does appear to be intrusive, your employer is entitled to use your photograph for organisation purposes. You can of course ask what policy they have in terms of use of the photograph, and they must have a clear policy. There would be no problem with using this for internal organisation purposes, but used for any other purpose does need to be cleared with you. For example they could not use the photograph on marketing information without your consent. It is important that organisations have a policy about dealing with information which they obtain from employees, and you are entitled to ask for a copy of the policy, and if they do not have one insist that they should do so