Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

An email was sent to staff asking to supply bank details,

Customer Question

An email was sent to staff asking to supply bank details, start date without any explanation given to why the information was required, the information had already been given and hadn't changed?
When I responded asking why the information was required?
I had already supplied it on several occasions.
I was reprimanded by email, stating I was unprofessional and obstructive.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.
I think repeated requests for the same information can be something outside of the employers reasonable requests. An employer can make reasonable requests of employees, but not when they repeat this because they have not looked after your information or lost it. Any employee is entitled to expect private information will be looked after and not disclosed, so losing it will be considered unprofessional. You could claim that the rebuke is therefore unnecessary because it is their incompetence, and that if necessary you can claim a personal grievance. But it may be easier just to object to the rebuke, and say you don't accept this was unprofessional, but supply the information.