Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My daughter is seeking a divorce from a US citizen and I am

Customer Question

Good day
My daughter is seeking a divorce from a US citizen and I am making preliminary enquiries on behalf because she is overseas, and because she has great difficulty dealing with administrative issues. I would very much appreciate some initial guidance please.
My daughter:
* Is a UK citizen who married a US citizen August 2013.
* Applied for residency and Green Card which was awarded November 2014.
* Lived and/or was travelling and aside from visits to and from the US, did not live with her husband during this period.
* Moved to the US to join her husband during February 2015.
* Bullied and isolated, left her husband + - May/June 2015. They lived together for no more than 5 months.
* Returned to the US for +- 1 month August 2016 to seek an amicable divorce. Husband did not respond to/ignored repeated attempts to contact him to discuss issue.
* Is financially compromised and unable to travel back to US for the foreseeable future.
My initial questions are as follows:
(1) Can she file for divorce from outside the US if not contested or contested?
(2) Would a "no contest" divorce compromise her ability to lay a civil claim against her husband, post-divorce? Her husband depleted most of her savings and she still has property in the US (vehicles, personal belongings, etc) and some material evidence of his liability.
(3) If her husband is "dodging"/cannot be located to serve summons, what would happen then? He has a criminal record, (the gravity of did not come to light prior to the marriage). There is evidence that he is "in a relationship" and "interested in women". Were these facts to come before the Court, would they constitute sufficient cause to grant a divorce? I do have his full name, email address and mobile phone number and an abridged version of his criminal history.
(4) Going the online route through your website, please advise approximate costs of (a) uncontested divorce, and (b) uncontested divorce if summons unable to be served.
Thank you & kind regards
Tessa Chalk ***@******.***
Auckland New Zealand
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

Is she living in New Zealand now? If so then she could apply here

If that is the case I can give guidance on how to do this.