Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I lent a friend some money (about 3,500nzd) in May on the

Customer Question

Hi
I lent a friend some money (about 3,500nzd) in May on the understanding he would pay it back within 3-4 weeks and despite him advising he has transfered the funds I have not received any money from him. We are no longer in contact apart from for the money and it is made a little trickier as I live in NZ and he lives in Western Australia.
What would my next step be to try and recover the funds?
Thank you
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.
Does he dispute the claim? If he doesn't you will need to file a claim in the District Court and get a judgment against him. This may be hard to enforce in Aistralia, but you can report this as a default to credit agencies here and in Australia. I suggest you tell him this is your next step and see what his reaction is. You can enforce a New Zealand judgment in Aistralia but it may start to get expensive as you may need a lawyer there