Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Does the new owner of land have the right to increase the

Customer Question

Does the new owner of land have the right to increase the lease of the lease with a current term by 500%? A preschool lease operating from a land that is sold 18 months prior to end of lease term.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 month ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Does the original lease have any provison for early termination or for increasing the rent during the lease term?
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 1 month ago.
Sorry. Just noticed this is not a US question, though posted in a US legal category.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Do you know if this is a commercial lease on the standard ADLS form? or is this some other lease? Leases commonly have standard conditions about rent renewal and usually a rental arbitration clause. Do you know if this lease has terms about when rent reviews may be made?