Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am working in NZ legally on essential skills work visa so

Customer Question

good afternoon,
I am Eva and i am working in NZ legally on essential skills work visa so I am supported by my employer each year. I have got a new job offer in the same department but much higher position. I am working as a housekeeping supervisor and seeking head housekeeper position also in different town. My visa expire 13.October 2016 i don't need any medical and police record check this year. The thing is my potential new employer he is still not sure if he will able to support me. He is just trying to find out if there is any chance how to manage to get me in. If i will decide to resign i need to let my current company know 4 weeks in advance. QT1 am I able to mean time sort out my new visa with the a new company or not? QT2: What if my visa still will not be approved after 13th of October, Am I allowed to stay in the country unemployed? and for how long? I don't wanna take such a big risk.
Thank u for ur answear.
Iva
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

I am just reading this now

I would start to apply for a variation to your work visa on the basis you will take the new position. If your employer is not able to support you in the new job, then I suggest you renew in your old job, and then once you have your new Visa based on the old job, then look at a variation if the new employer intends supporting you. So if you want to be careful, you should apply for a renewal of the present job. You can't be unemployed, because it is a condition of your visa that you are working

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dear *****,thank u for ur reply it's better to extend then and when my visa are approve i can apply for variation if i got it right?Kind Regards
Ea

Yes I agree, it's better to extend and perhaps apply for the variation afterwards