Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Can a security monitoring company refuse to give me my

Customer Question

can a security monitoring company refuse to give me my installer code for my alarm system that i have paid fr and own without paying them a fee?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

When you bought the alarm system, that this come with some sort of contract with the security monitoring company?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - it was installed and ADT monitored it. The monitoring agreement which was month to month has ended, they will now not provide any details without paying for them to come out at a very expensive cost which makes changing company unpractical. I believe if I buy a product like a car I should be able to choose who services it? Seems crazy to me. Thanks

That is an interesting issue. I am inclined to think that this may be an issue under the Commerce Act as a restrictive trade practice, because it prevents you from trading with the security monitoring company of your choice. These issues are investigated by the Commerce Commission, who are unfortunately not always able to deal with these matters quickly because of the volume of their work. The place to make a complaint is at this link

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great! Thanks for the advice

Perhaps the next step is to suggest to the security monitoring company that you will take this matter to the Commerce Commission but that a sensible fee would be an easier response for them