Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I had an accident in which the driver and passenger of the

Customer Question

I had an accident in which the driver and passenger of the other car were injured. I basically driven in front of them and the hit me side on. I didn't see their vehicle. Do I face 2 charges for this (one for each person) or can I only be charged once?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

The police sometimes lay several charges out of an incident. However when it comes to sentencing, the judge looks at the overall issue and not at the number of charges. So it is possible you might get charged with careless driving causing injury, which carries six months disqualification and a fine, and although two persons were injured, you will not lose your license for any longer nor will the fine be different