Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I HAVE A SMALL CAR REPAIR SHOP AND I CLIENT HAS NOT PAID HIS

Customer Question

I HAVE A SMALL CAR REPAIR SHOP AND I CLIENT HAS NOT PAID HIS BILL AND HAS BEEN ASKED 4 TIMES PLUS STATEMENTS EVERY MONTH, ON REPLAY HE SAYS I HAVE NO MONEY WHAT AM I GOING TO DO HIS BOSS A LOCAL SHERARING CONTRACTOR, HAS MY MONEY I HAVE ASKED HIM AND REPLAYS IS HE IS IN AREARS WITH HIM NOW I FOUND OUT THE VECHILE I FIXED IS TO BE SOLD AND HE IS GOING TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY WAIT CAN I DO
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NEW ZEALAND OTAGO I JUST WANT TO !!!!!!!!!! HE JUST PASSED ME IN THE FOOD SHOP BUYING FOOD I TALKED TO HIM HIS REPLAY WAS I HAVE NO MONEY , SAID YOU JUST GOT FOOD . HIS REPLAY WAS IF YOU RASIE YOUR VOICE AGASIN THER WILL BE TROUBLE !!!@!!@!@!
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NOT YET BECAUSE LAST TIME IT WAS HOPE LLESS HERE
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: ANT WITS END AS A OWNER OF A BUSSINESS THE SHITS ME I WANT TO STOP HIM AT THE BOARDER OR PUT A RIT ON HIS CAR
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thks i think i put wrong email it is***@******.*** my bus is craigs auto and electrical services lawrence i have invoices that i have sent and recived back from his boss as well
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

I am reading this now

How much does he owe? It is not always fast getting a court judgment as this will take at least 6 weeks before you can get a judgment, if he doesnt dispute the debt. Once you get that then you can get the court bailiff to seize the car. But that may not be fast enough for you. If you think he is leaving the country with the intention of avoiding debts then you can in some cases stop him at the border but it would need to be a reasonable sum to justify the costs. If he agreed you put a personal security agreement on the car and this would show on the Personal Property Securities Register and anyone who tried to buy the car would see you were owed money.

If you had the car to do work, in your possession you can keep the car until he pays as you can claim a workers lien. But I assume he has the car back after the repairs.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
528.50 plus costs,yes the ute is back with owner as his boss was going to take it out of his wages and he got sick didnt work now hes back at work etc

I think the best way for you is to quickly file a claim in the local Disputes Tribunal, then get an order for payment. At this point you can choose to ask the court staff to help you get an attachment order on his wages, or get a warrant to seize the car. It's worth noting for the future that if you think someone won't pay their bill, that you are allowed to hold onto the car until they do pay

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you very much

I hope this is useful