Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I retrired at the end of March 2016. In retirement, I may

Customer Question

I retrired at the end of March 2016. In retirement, I may perform a small amount of training and participate in problem solving exercises with one or several dairy companies. It is unlikely that I will gross more than $15000 pa. I want to know whether I can avoid expensive liability / indemnity insurance by including an indemnity waiver in any contract I sign with a company.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

I believe that for the work of this description, it would be fairly unlikely that you would be exposed to claims for negligence, because training and similar activities are not generally high risk for personal indemnity. But you certainly could include a clause in which you provide that you will not be liable for any claims for negligence, which would provide some protection

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the info. Doesn't really add to what I had concluded myself. I sit down face-to-face with a NZ lawyer to get a suitable paragraph to cover the situation. Regards

You really only need to worry about professional negligence when there is a substantial amount of money at stake. So people like lawyers, accountants, engineers and others who are making decisions and giving advice with substantial financial consequences upon an error, do need such cover. But teaching and being a mentor would be very low risk, while you may want to have an indemnity clause, I doubt that you are really at risk