Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Hope you're well. I've received a letter asking for payment

Customer Question

Hi Chris,Hope you're well.I've received a letter asking for payment of my loan via a debt collection agency.This is obviously an NZ debt and I am in the UK.What lien do they have on my UK assets right now? I assume none but is there a process by which they can go through whereby they would have lien on my UK assets?Thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

They do not have any right to claim a lien on your UK assets just based on a claim in New Zealand. If they wanted to obtain some form of charging order against your property, they would need to get a judgement in New Zealand, and then apply to a court in the United Kingdom to enforce the judgement, and from there, obtain a charging order or the equivalent. This can be a very expensive exercise and in my experience is only done where there are very large sums of money