Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

My husbands ex wife is trying to claim on my assets and

Customer Question

My husbands ex wife is trying to claim on my assets and income, due to his illness of MS and he is unable to work. Therefore he only gets assessed on child support with min standard of income, although he doesn't work.Is there any cases by where the new partners income or assets become part of the calculations for new zealand child maintenance?Best regards
***** *****
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

The child support regime is aimed at the parents of children. Under the Child-Support Act and other legislation, it is not possible to claim against the partner or spouse of a parent, just because they happen to be married or a partner of a liable parent. I am not aware of any cases where someone has claimed successfully in a situation like yours. I hope it is not a lawyer trying this somewhat difficult claim. But if she is just correcting this herself, you can tell her that she has no legal basis to do so