Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

We been separated since july 2016, if I apply for life

Customer Question

we been separated since july 2016, if I apply for life insurance or funeral cover can he claim half?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

Property acquired after you separate is separate property and your former partner cannot claim against this. The Property Relationships Act draws a line at the time of separation so he cannot claim

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks
my ex want a separation order as I said I would claim separation from jan2015 since I lived somewhere else for work purpose and went home every 2 to 3 weeks for a day or two, in this 18 months he stayed at least once away from home because of the atmosphere at home, it also happened in the passed and me as well stayed in a motel for a few days, he threaten to leave me at several occasions, he has a police record for an assult on me. can you please recommend someone to help me with this resided in Hamilton.?

In Hamilton there are some good family lawyers and I would suggest this firm http://www.nplaw.co.nz

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks I will make contact on Monday.

Great, they will look after this for you