Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I have asked in written format to my employer requesting all

Customer Question

Hi Chris, I have asked in written format to my employer requesting all information held about my person; under the Data protection Act and the Privacy Act, as I have a personal grievance against another staff member.
My employer said yes we will give it to you as soon as possible. It has been 5 days now, and I get passed from one manager to another. I then went directly to the store manager who said "well I just don't have the information for you ...right now".
Can I apply for an injunction to get them to release this information, as the time limit in which my grievance must be made is ever approaching.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

The Employment Relations Service can require production of documents if you have a claim underway but I assume you want to see the documents before you make a claim. So you should make a claim to them if you are close to the time for making one, and say it is made because they have not provided the information promptly. There is no specified time in law for providing such information but they should do so quickly, for the reason that it is not difficult, and that there is a further isue of detriment to you in addition to the other staff member's issue, and you can mention that