Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Me and my partner have lived together 5 years and three

Customer Question

Me and my partner have lived together 5 years and three month ago bought a home, although we went half on all costs and both pay the mortgage he put it in his name only. We have decided to split up but he says I can have nothing as its not in my name. I have put all my money into this property as we got it cheap due to it needing money spent on it. Do I have any right to get my money back or any claim on the home?
Thank you
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.
Under the Property Relationships Act you are entitled to a half share in all the property. This is the home, the items in the house, cars and KiwiSaver. It doesn't matter if he put the house in his name, and you can place a notice on the title to record your interest. He will have to either sell the property or pay out your share.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are in QLD Australia and can he force me to move out of the home
I didn't realise you were asking from Australia, as my answer applies New Zealand law. I suspect this is similar law but I need to transfer you to an Australian lawyer to confirm your position.