Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

We submitted a quote for a job, the quote was accepted. We

Customer Question

Hi. We submitted a quote for a job, the quote was accepted. We needed to research how to complete the job as it was complicated, we ordered product with which to do the job and waited for it to be freighted from Auckland. We were in constant communication with the client. The last word from us was that the product was expected to arrive this week and we would contact him as soon as it arrived. we rang the client last night to tell him it had arrived and he informed us that we were no longer doing the work and that he had engaged another contractor. His reason was that we had not communicated.
We have already begun the work, as in seeking advice and sourcing product and have it booked in for Monday. Where do we stand please? I consider that he has broken our contract and has no valid reason to fire us.Also, we were not advised that we were sacked until we contacted him to give him an onsite start date. He has left us to carry on working towards the work.
thank you .
Andrea Shepherd.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hi I am just reading this now

Once a quote has been submitted and accepted, there is a binding contract. If he has now cancelled the contract, you are entitled to sue him for the breach of the contract and your damages will include the cost of the product, your time in preparing the product and researching the issue, and your lost profit on the job. I wasn't sure if this was a construction contract, but if it was then you should lodge a payment claim and send to him. This will give you a considerable advantage in that he will need to respond with a schedule, and if he does not you will have the advantages of the remedies under the Construction Contracts Act.