Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I work for a broker here in nz and i am on a work visa my

Customer Question

I work for a broker here in nz and i am on a work visa my former boss pays me 150$ per applicant that we can help to be here in new zealand. Everyone is paying for him through western union but the day comes that western union blocked his name and cannot recieve any payments anymore so he used my account in philipines where they wiĺl deposit the money and i will withdraw it jere in new zealand. I already quitted with the job and my account is been freezed because i am withdrawing a lot. There are still 4000$ in my account that i cant withdraw because it was not yet fixed with the bank. My former boss saud that he will charge me of fraud and that he will revoke my existing work visa, can he do that? And as counter for him what can i do?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 7 months ago.

Were you entitled to take the money here?

Does he owe you money?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He wanted the money to put in my bank because theres no other way he can claim the payments of the applicant, he is claiming i owe him 4000$ because it is in my account
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He said if i did not payhim he will call the immigration and revoke my visa

If you have the money, can you afford to repay it? Does he owe you any money?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am working now in a resthome and have a salary coming to my bank, i can pay him through my salary but not 4000$ cash i can pay him 300$ weekly. No he does not owe me

He could complain about you taking money to the police. If this happens then your visa will definitely be at risk. I suggest you start by sending money and tell him that you will pay him off but only if he doesn't go to the police or immigration.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh i see, thank you for that.

This is definitely a risky situation so you do need to be careful