Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

If theres a case review; common assault, minor minor issues

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, if theres a case review; common assault, minor minor issues of a scuffle, no real injuries, handbags thrown, Im charged with male assaulting male and male assaulting female. Complainants have written letters to say that all is forgotten and we have reconciled. What shall I say in the case review? I will plead not guilty
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: sorry this is new zealand
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes, he said he will come to the case review, is there anything i should tell him?
JA: What advice did they give you? Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: he said that theres too much conflicting evidence and that it will be difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that i am guilty
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

The lawyer is likely to be correct and the case evaluation will be the place where these issues can be discussed with the police and the judge. Your partner should attend and be ready to confirm to the judge that she doesnt want to give evidence as you have resolved the issues. Your lawyer will speak for you although the judge may want to speak to you. Its not necessarily the end of the case however, as it is up to the police as to whether they want to withdraw, and often with domestic violence cases they are more hard line.

But certainly the strengths of the case will be discussed and if the police realise they are unlikely to get a conviction they will withdraw.