Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have recently been declined my partnership based visa and

Customer Question

Hi
I have recently been declined my partnership based visa and unlawfully in the country whilst I had my court case ongoing which I got convicted for male assaults female,now me and my kiwi wife have only ever been apart for 2 weeks when this male assaults female happened,
I got no penalty from my conviction just a criminal record,
Now I plan on flying out of the country tomorrow because I have no visa what can I do now as my wife will be staying here in New Zealand because we have an apartment together both have jobs here and basically our whole life is here and I really don't know what to do now
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

Normally when a visa has been refused you have to wait 5 years before you try again. You could apply for a visitors or a work visa but would face the same hurdles of the conviction.

You do have a right of appeal against the decision to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal at this link https://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/immigration/immigration-and-protection/

This will enable to get the decision reviewed, and you can do this from your home country. If the appeal is allowed then you could return