Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I too want to terminate my membership with Classic Holidays

Customer Question

Hi Chris, I too want to terminate my membership with Classic Holidays but they are saying I have to provide them with a comprehensive list of my self worth and my monthly incomings and outgoings to demonstrate hardship. I told them I was not in a position to keep paying the membership fees and would not be in a position to afford a holiday for a very long time. I did not ask for a refund of any sort. I initially bought a 10 year membership and they added another 10 as some sort of promotion. That was back in approx 2010. I was told that we could actually sell our membership at any time, assuming we could find a buyer of course but this doesnt seem to be the case according to their initial response to my request. I would of thought that I could opt out at any time if there was no refund requested?
Cheers
Barrie
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

It is possible to sell timeshare interests and there are a number of websites where you can list these for sale. However it is not always easy to sell as the market is quite limited. I am not sure if your particular membership is a timeshare, but your best response is to tell them that the position is misleading and deceptive because the holiday is not something you can afford, and have found difficult to sell despite the representations. Often the Fair Trading Act is cited in a defence saying that they have been misleading and deceptive in the course of trade, which can be a fair trading defence to any claims by these holiday companies. The extension of the membership looks dubious to me as well. If this is 10 years of additional membership fees, then I do not believe they can extend it without your agreement. The contracts for these types of holiday do not generally permit you to cancel for any reason, but your best setting up your financial position and explaining that you cannot afford to keep up the membership but also that you are disappointed in the misrepresentations and want to cancel the contract because of those.