Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I need help and advice about media .my son was shot and

Customer Question

I need help and advice about media .my son was shot and killed by police in a seige .i am still coming to terms with it .i have been treated terribly wrong by many people police media and extremely cruel people .i have not viewed the media version of my son.dying it made world news went viral.people got there kicks out of it .i havent read any news paper clippings all to cruel i.But i was at my grandsons and he showed me a clipping of 1 of many belive me .i just for the first time read part of it .i.took a picture of it .
Now my question and i do know i can do something about it .
They said my son.got out of the car firing bullets at the police .
A horribly wrong fact
Defamation of my sons character .
My son i have been told by a counselor friend .He got out of the car quietly
Looked like he had a gun
But it was a peice of wood (yes wood)
I want to sue the media they were wrong and they dragged stuff up.from 10 years prier
So please i have to do this i need to know how to go about it
I am.in.napier any type of lawyer do i see please
There is so.much to this but he has been wronged
And the media once they got the full story didnt retract or apologize to me
Thanks yvonne
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

Where you believe that your son has been reported inaccurately, the first place to go would be the New Zealand Press Council.They have a special role to investigate news stories to ensure that the reporting is fair and balanced. Where there have been allocations which are simply not true but repeated in a news story, then that could be unfair. It is a free service, so you don't need a lawyer to make the complaint. The website where you can fill out a complaint form is here They have a special role to investigate news stories to ensure that the reporting is fair and balanced. Where there have been allocations which are simply not true but repeated in a news story, then that could be unfair. It is a free service, so you don't need a lawyer to make the complaint. The website where you can fill out a complaint form is here. http://www.presscouncil.org.nz/complaints

The law of defamation has some peculiar aspects to it. Once someone has died, you cannot sue for defamation about them, although you can sue if they mention you or family members in a way which is wrong or unfair. So the press Council complaint is probably the only way to get this sad situation investigated properly. As part of the complaint you could ask that there be apologies to the family if the reporters have got this wrong and said things which are unfair and untrue

Please ask further for more details, i am happy to help with more details