Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I injured my tailbone when I was doing exercises back at a

Customer Question

I injured my tailbone when I was doing exercises for my back at a physio and ACC investigated and turned down my claim I also injured my back again on the 12th May when I twisted while I was turning off the bus I was driving (I am a bus Driver for Go Wellington)
Wellnz who looks after the bus people said no to my claim as it was still related to my previous ACC claim of 18 August last year. The claim went back to ACC who have turned it down also. I now need surgery on my tailbone but with no ACC cover I possibly wont be able to have surgery.
I have been off work for 2 months with no money coming in and the likelihood of me going back to work is remote as Wellnz and Acc will not cover me if I have more problems with my back. Where do I stand. Please help.
Pam Stephen
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

You have the right of review of the decision to turn down your ACC claim. I suspect that they have approached this as a pre-existing condition, which is why they have declined your claim. A reasonable number of people have managed to get medical opinions which have helped with the review to restore ACC cover. Have you been told about your rights of review?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have, but this may take months, I dont understand why they would turn me down as my tailbone and back were injuries, I thought ACC would have to cover me.

ACC can be difficult when it comes to back injuries and pre existing condition allegations.You may have no option but to apply for a sickness benefit through WINZ in the meantime and go on to the waiting list for the operation at Wellington Hospital. I do understand about the delay for the review, but if you are medically certified as unable to work you should at least get social welfare benefits. Have you made an application for this?