Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a question regarding inland revenue and my business

Customer Question

hello i have a question regarding inland revenue and my business is there anyone available to answer. I have closed my restaurant 6 months back but i still applied for gst and got refunds. I knew it was illegal but i had major loans that i could not pay and was desperate need of money.
Now ird has chosen me for risk review and i don't know if i should put a voluntary disclosure or just ignore as i had to leave this country in 2 months time . Will i be in a big trouble if i go out of the country without providing them with informations i mean will i be convicted of criminal offence or can i get out of it in any way??
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.
If they decide to review, and then find a problem, as you fear, they may decide to prosecute you for fraud. In that case you would likely be prevented from leaving the country until the case was completed, and there would be a risk of jail. If you just leave the country without discussing this, they may still investigate, but if you are planning to leave permanently they may not be able to do much.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello thanks for your answer yes I'm leaving the country permenately and will not come back. Do u think after i leave will there be much problem i mean is there any chance if they can put any note on my name and passport that i cannot travel to any other countries? I don't know anything and I'm very afraid about it so can they still do much if i move out permanently?

Once you have left New Zealand they cannot do anything. This may be a problem coming back to New Zealand, but it wont affect travel anywhere else in the world. But if they charge you with an offence before you leave then you have to deal with that beforre you can leave.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much Chris. They have given me a date to submit some documents thats in 2 weeks time and I'm leaving in one weeks time so can u give me any suggestions that i can make an excuse of why i cannot provide documents in 2 weeks and i can get one month to that is when I'm going. Any genuine reason i can give them that they give me some more weeks.

Do you need to get more documents from your accountant or other places and will it take longer than the two weeks?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have to get any documents from anywhere else but i don't have the information that they require so I'm moving out in a months time and they requested for documents after 2 weeks. As i do not have documents to give them i just needed some time so a reason that i can give them why i cannot provide them with documents so if they give me more time i can move out from here.

Perhaps tell them it will take longer than two weeks to get the information to them, as you dont have it for now.

ASk for a month perhaps