Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My wife and daughter are living in Denmark. ..we have an

Customer Question

My wife and daughter are living in Denmark. ..we have an agreed amount I pay for child support but I'm wanting to know what legal requirements are...
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.
You could check the assessed amounts paid under the New Zealand child support scheme which are based on income and expenses. But if you have agreed an amount you can get this recorded in an agreement which can be registered with the Court if you want. But it's not necessary if you both agree on the amount and it is being paid. A written agreement is easy to draw up and doesn't need much formality, although you could also record any child care and contact agreements in one document.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm being told by her that on the first of August 2016 the amount will increase 70 percent. . I'm wanting to know if that is true as I can't find any information to back up what she is saying
If this has benn an agreement negotiated between you, then any increase must also be negotiated and agreed. She could be considering seeking a formula assessment under the Child Support Act, but you would be contacted by Inland Revenue if that was the case as they administer that system. But otherwise she cannot just unilaterally impose an increase