Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

There is a proposal to disestablish my role. And I have to

Customer Question

There is a proposal to disestablish my role. And I have to give my feedback to this proposal.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Auckland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My role is Snr Technology Support specialist and there are other people with the same role. So my role is impacted. They say that the demand for support of the application I am providing has decreased.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

There is an opportunity for you to make suggestions about the proposal, and your employer must listen to your proposal. However even though they are obliged to give you the opportunity to comment, they are not obliged to accept any suggestion which you make, and can still decide to make you redundant. So this is the opportunity to make an argument for keeping your role, and perhaps suggesting that there could be some other form of restructuring which would save jobs. Normally when there is a redundancy the principle is that the newest employees must first leave, and so you can make a comment on this aspect as well. The reason you have been asked is that it is a principle of employment law that you must be consulted on redundancy issues. But it does not give you any particular right to keep your job unfortunately, but is because your employer has to go through the procedure.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What are the requirements to make a job redundant?

There must be a genuine economic reason that your department can no longer support the number of workers due to a decrease in the work. If they can show that you are too many in your department, then that is sufficient