Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Do the powers granted to Schools, to set rules, in the

Customer Question

Do the powers granted to Schools, to set rules, in the Education Act extend to Extra Curricular Activities?
My Daughter is on the path to being an accomplished sportswoman, but i am finding friction with her needs. She is a strong footballer, and part of a external-to-school program. Her College insists that all students must play for the school if the sport is offered.
My daughter and I both agree that the school program is well meaning, but inferior to the program she is in. Can the school compell her to take part, or sanction her if she does not?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 months ago.
The schools can only suggest she joins in. They cannot stop her playing for an outside team. There is no legal right for the school to maintain control over after school activities like this. If they attempt to discipline her at school because of her preference you would need to discuss this and challenge this with the Board of Trustees. But the Education Act and regulations don't provide power to stop her