Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Going through a proposed change to my job, do I need to work

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Going through a proposed change to my job, do I need to work the 4 week notice. Employment agreement - A 4 week notice period which may or may not bee worked and if not paid in lieu. Thank you, Belinda
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Proposal for change - meeting was Tuesday just gone. Consultation period to seek legal advice, make comment, provide feedback by midday next Monday. Outcome of proposed change announced next Wednesday
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, because I am not in a financial position to pay for one
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Nothing else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

Hi

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Chris

I am not sure if you mean that you are leaving your job, and want to leave earlier and get paid out rather than work out the notice? If that is the position, you can negotiate this with your employer. Anything can be arranged by mutual agreement. But often once you give notice they dont want you to stay anyway, depending on the job. However sometimes they do want you to finish the notice period. Do you know what they are likely to want?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Company proposing a new organisational structure which will see my role disestablished. Proposed structure meeting Tuesday just gone.

Do you have a redundancy clause?

And would you want to invoke this or stay in a new role?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Redundancy clause included in my employment agreement and a 4 week notice period which may or may not be worked and if not be paid in lieu. Do I need to work the 4 weeks...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A job description of a role in another Department was emailed to me by the General Manager today which I do not wish to take

Is the job substantially different from what you do now?

I ask that because that sometimes the redundancy clause may only be used when the job is different

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
definitely. It is an outbound Team Manager Call Centre role, totally different to my existing role.
The letter they have given me after the meeting reads. Proposed Structure - In light of the above (my job title) we are proposing a new organisational structure within the (company name) which would see the disestablishment of the (job title)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They did not offer me any alternative job role in the meeting.
Then you would qualify but if they are not offering an alternative the redundancy will apply anyway. The issue of working out your notice should be agreed so if they are happy to just pay you out, then you can leave
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay thank you.