Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I was raised by my grand parents from basically birth

Customer Question

I was raised by my grand parents from basically birth (2weeks old to be clear). Now i'm 36 and my grand mother wants to legally adopt me as she is worried her own children will not share/give me what she wants me to have if she passes over. Is it possible to be adopted as an adult?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

It would not be possible for you to be adopted as an adult. However, if your grandmother leaves a will in which you are given appropriate shares, that should protect you from claims from your aunts and uncles. The will as the strongest way to give you the protection, and while not everybody likes to draw up a will until they are close to passing, it is really the best way to protect you and to protect everybody