Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Where I rent - there are three buildings. Stan and Isobel

Customer Question

Where I rent - there are three buildings. Stan and Isobel lease all 3 buildings and sub rent the granny flat (one of them) to me.
I am moving out and there are overhanging trees on the driveway. I have gone to lengths to find a very small moving truck but am not sure if it will clear all the trees. They told me that I can't do this. They told me to access the granny flat from a paddock. This is a distance from the truck to the granny flat and there is heavy furniture to lift. the ground is uneven and it will take extra time which I am paying by the hour.
The first truck company with a small truck has refused to now shift my gear
If the truck doesn't completely clear the trees I do not believe that there would be much damage and it is not much bigger than the courier vans that use it regularly
What can I do?
I live by myself and as it is I have to move a lot of gear because it won't fit in a small truck. When I came here I had a large double horsefloat and friends helped me shift - this isn't available
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

In this situation i would find a truck that fits and don't bother asking the others. Once you ahve moved I doubt they will bother you. If you are being forced to move out using this paddock that seems unreasonable compared to possible minor damage to the trees

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have got the smallest furniture truck that I can find - it is not much bigger than a van - if it does touch the trees it is unlikely to do much damage. Some-one said that the truck driver won't want his truck damaged by the trees either but it is not really likely at all

I think if there is pressure on you to leave, then you should take the chance and use this truck