Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Can I purchase a property and put it in either my son and my

Customer Question

Can I purchase a property and put it in either my son and my name or in his name only which ever is easiest. The problem is my son is unable to sign any legal documents as he lives in America and this is a gift to him should I pass away. The reason I'm doing this is I want to avoid the cost of a name change when I'm no longer here and to save money by doing it now while I'm in the process of purchasing a property
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

You can do this and then gift it to him. However he can easily sign the legal papers overseas to place the property in his name. Either way is not difficult and there are no significant legal difficulties. Gifting is pretty starightforward. You can also leave a will explicitly leaving him the property, which would be also easy