Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I have rented my property to the same people last 16 years

Customer Question

I have rented my property to the same people for the last 16 years and now have been offered a possible amount far and above the latest GV.
I need to organise a viewing preferably without the tenants there. We have offered to sell it to them about 18 mths ago for GV and I know they want it but haven't made an offer.
Obviously they will be theeatened by my request.
How should I prioceed?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.
Their rights as tenants mean you have to give notice if you want to show the property to purchasers. You are likely aware of this already. They cannot refuse the visit once you have given proper notice but it would be hard to get them to vacate for the visit. But you don't have any obligation to sell to them if there is no offer in writing, which is legally required for a contract or an option to purchase.