Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Recently my home was burgled and property stolen I am a

Customer Question

Recently my home was burgled and property stolen I am a boarder who solely looks after property while owner works and while home. Owner tried to claim for my contents stolen under his insurance policy as I do not have contents insurance but was declined because I'm just a Tennent even tho policy says they would cover any paying guest. Is there any legal rights around this as I lost several thousand dollars worth of property.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 6 months ago.

If you are unhappy with the insurance company decision you can make a complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman, which is a free service. You need to first ask the insurance company to review, although they may have done this, from reading your question. It will come down to the wording of the policy, and it may be possible the policy draws a distinction between a guest, who is there temorarily, and a boarder who may be long term. The Ombudsman website where you can lodge a complaint is here http://www.iombudsman.org.nz/