Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I have a criminal record from 20 years ago . In the last 5

Customer Question

I have a criminal record from 20 years ago for fraud. In the last 5 years I have had 3 police checks with nothing showing as it is over 7 years ago. I have just had another check done this week and this has shown my record from 20 years ago. I was told by my old lawyer from those days that I no longer have to declare these as they should have been wiped from my records after 7 years. Can you tell me what is correct as if I travel overseas I was going to put down I have no longer got a record
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.
The Criminal Records Clan Slate Act permits you to conceal the records after 7 years, and the act says you can say you have no record. This is fine for most purposes but travel to the United States is an exception, as they specifically say you cannot rely on this act. All other countries do however permit you to conceal the records.
Typo above, it's the Clean Slate