Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

My son is under MHS, at the moment he is forced to take

Customer Question

My son is under MHS, at the moment he is forced to take medication, he suffers from side effects, physically, and phychological. Every month, we go thru the same thing the Truma is awful, he threaten, to say the police will be out to take him in. We only received a report on 18 Feburary 2016, from the MHS lawyer, and have study the report, found vague and what MHS has written,nothing to back up their claims. At the moment we have, written to the MHS, for a record from them, to say who said, and where did their information came from. In the meantime we, are going through dread, every time they ring, to say come, in. We would like to know if an order can stop the forcing this medication, until we can prove our side of the story.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.
If you are concerned about the treatment you need to discuss this with the doctors who are treating him. Stopping the medication would need to be discussed and would have effects as well so any changes must be considered carefully. But it is your son who needs to request changes, and he needs to talk to the doctors, although you can go with him for support. If this compulsory treatment he would need to go to court to change this.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This has been discussed, with doctors, because of what's written in the report, he is kept on the COD treatment, forcing antipsychotic, into him that's causing more problems than when he not on it. This is is a long saga, that happen 15 to 20 years ago. I always maintained, MHS, based, their diagnosis, on short answers, that Steven could barely answer,after, subjected to abuse, assualt, sworn at. Around 2012 his boss was taken to Employment Relations Authority, after calling and swearing at a employer, and dismissal of another employer. He had to pay out for humiliation loss of dignity and injury to feelings.Steven, when he was taken to hospital, he could hardly function, so lethlagic, from the years of abuse. He came home, had no proper treatment. Recently, he found out what he was suffering from, it's called Post Truma Stress Disorder. All the time he was home, he kept reliving over and over again, about his boss. Memories, triggered off things that happen, back then. MHS , after one hour consultation, labelled, him Paranoia, Schizophrenia, that caused our family so much grief, and still going on after all these years. Steven has given me permission to write to you. Like I said, we never knew of a report, only recently, when MHS lawyer, gave it to us recently. If MHS, had done their, job, properly, in the first place, worked out exactly, what happen to him, instead of the assumption, they made, quick fix, sent, him on his way. We, are subjected, to Truma, Steven is subjected, to humiliation anger, triggers all this, every month he goes for the injection, also suffers from dazed feels nusea anxiety, bad thoughts, after the medication, depression, thinks what's the points of living. There so much to this, than what written here. Our life, and ***** *****fe is hold.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Because of the difficulty in differentiating between the psychotic disorders, It takes six months or longer to arrive at a correct a diagnosis.
PTSD, is an anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to a traumatic event , such as military combat, an accident, or violent assault. People with PTSD experience symptoms that are similar to schizophrenia,. The images, sounds, and smells of PTSD flashbacks can look like psychotic hallucinations. The PTSD symptoms of emotional numbness and avoidance can look like the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Recurrent unwanted distressing memories of the traumatic event(flashbacks) this is one of the symptoms, of PTSD.
If you are unhappy about the medical treatment you can complain to the Health and Disability Commissioner. This is a service for legal
Issues and the appropriateness of the medical treatment is something for the Health and Disability Commissioner. I can provide a link to lodge s complaint there if that would help
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already to been to HDC , wrote a report of 9 to 10 pages, they decide not to take any action, they said it was more appropriate that District Inspector for MHS, I have been to 3. One said no one twisted, my arm to go down and pick Steven, up I said to him what if it was his child, if they rang to say he was sick , he didn't say anything. The DI,lady we saw on Thusday 26 2016, told Steven to just go in and do what MHS, ask, even it means he at the end of his tether. Everyone is fobbing us, off, are they waiting for something to happen.
Is he getting Pschotherapy? Some say this is in the long term a better option than medication
Talking therapy can be effective but does take longer and you won't always get help to pay for this
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You really, didn't answer my question. Before any kind of therapy, he got to get out of the forced medication, he is subjected too. Could you tell what was the $75 for.
I could you better if you ask questions about the legal issues. A lot of your questions are about treatment issues which is really a medical problem. I am happy to help with any law questions about what is happening