Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Is there a way to check somewhere if there is any arrest

Customer Question

Hi there
Is there a way for me to check somewhere if there is any arrest warrant issued against me that can either prohibit me from entering NZ or while in NZ prohibit me from getting out of NZ?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

You can contact the police direct and ask them this question. They will look up your records on their computer system and should be able to tell you if there are any outstanding warrants. Is this an issue where there are criminal matters or are you concerned about something like a student loan?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chris
I was CEO of a company in NZ and was working from an overseas branch office. There were some disagreements with the Board in NZ and my actions to protect the Malaysian office were seen as fraudulent. The amount of money involved in the fraud allegation was circa USD 10,000. No criminal charges were pursued either in Malaysia or New Zealand (to my knowledge). No summons or court documents were served in New Zealand (at my known residential address) or in Malaysia either. This matter was covered widely in the press in New Zealand (both print and television) and as such I suffered a great deal of reputation damage due to this. I am due to go back to NZ at the end of June to bring my son to Malaysia for a some time during his school holidays. I haven't been back to New Zealand since this incident but have traveled outside of Malaysia with no issues. The potential parties that could be involved in this could be the Serious Fraud Office or The FMA in NZ. I have checked the FMA website for the currently active investigations and don't see anything there related to this matter. Hope this helps with more background so you can provide a more precise answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.
If you have not been contacted for an interview by either the police or the SFO, and have been told there has been no complaint, it is pretty unlikely. The SFO only investigate large scale fraud, and this is relatively small. Similarly the FMA would only act on large scale problems. If the actions took place in Malaysia then New Zealand authorities may not have any jurisdiction in any event