Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I've just applying work Visa Zealand but I have not told

Customer Question

I've just applying for a work Visa for New Zealand but I have not told them about my past criminal record which is over 23 years ago now they have checked the records do not have a criminal record and they're asking me to submit my criminal background of the 23 years ago is it a problem if so what can I do to rectify
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

The problem you face is that Immigration officials regarded as a very serious matter when you do not disclose criminal convictions. It can depend on how serious these are. If these were just for minor youthful indiscretions, a full explanation and an apology may be enough. If however these were serious offences for which you were sentenced to a substantial jail sentence, then there is a very real risk that they will cancel your work visa and you may be deported. If these were New Zealand criminal convictions they might be covered by the Criminal Records Clean Slate Act which permits you to conceal convictions in certain cases if they are over seven years old. I do not know if the UK has similar law, and you should check, but I do not believe they have a system like ours. If they were minor offences then perhaps your best explanation is that it was so long ago you had forgotten. If they were more serious, you might need to get the supporting letters from employers and other people to say that these convictions were a matter in the past, and that may work