Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

My daughter has been charged with drunk driving (about 3

Customer Question

My daughter has been charged with drunk driving (about 3 times over limit). She insists that it is a minor traffic offence and there wil be no need for her to appear in court. This seems very unlikely - can you advise?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

Court charges for traffic offences are dealt with either by an infringement, where you'd do not have to go to court, or by more serious charges. If she has been charged with drink-driving with three times over the limit, this can potentially have a jail sentence, which means that she must attend court. If she does not go to court on the date in the charging document, the judge will issue a warrant for her arrest. She cannot plead guilty by letter but must attend court in person.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** helpful, though I'm surprised it took so long

I must apologise for the delay, as I have been involved in something else and was not able to look at my emails