Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My friend is on shift work in a round the clock factory.

Customer Question

My friend is on shift work in a round the clock factory. There are 3 shifts and he is on two of them, afternoon (2.30-10.30 and night 10.30-6.30. What is his legal right concerning the break time after a week of night shifts? Currently he has 2 days that is from friday morning till sunday night. Although he spends first part of friday just sleeping.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New zealand
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Not sure if same service is available here.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He is with a casual group. He can be let go at any time with no rights as far as we know as a temp. But he may be offered permanent work soon.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 6 months ago.

No one can be required to work more than 40 hours per week, but you can agree to work more. The law doesnt say how long you can have off between the weeks work, but there is a health and safety aspect, that you cannot work too long or your health could suffer. But the two days off can be as agreed, as long as he gets them. I wasnt sure if this was the issue, but he is getting the correct time off