Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

If I am asked to pay Occupational rent and I am still living

Customer Question

if I am asked to pay Occupational rent and I am still living in the house can I claim against this for lawn mowing, gardening and maintenance costs on the property? also a weekly allowance for the rates and insurance on the house as I have paid all of this and she refuses to pay as I,m living in the house, also doing the lawns and all the gardening on a large section about 4-5 hours each wekend,
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes I have, all the information I have read is that occupational rent needs to be applied for through a court order?
JA: What advice did they give you? Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not a lot I just want confirmation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
Your former partner is still liable for a half share of all expenses such as rates, Insurance, payments for maintenance of the property and your work in looking after the property. So just as if this was a commercial rental, the overheads need to be covered and if you pay all of these then her half share will be deducted from the occupational rental.