Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Pearl, my name is ***** ***** I am a New Zealander. Over 10

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my name is ***** ***** I am a New Zealander. Over 10 years ago I studied at Otago for a semester. I ended up stopping my studies as I failed and mmoved back to Australia with my mom. I haven't been able to pay off my debt since and I wanted to find out if I will be arrested at the airport for that when I finally come back to NZ. Is there a way to check if there is a warrant for your arrest?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The debt was less than 7000 last time I checked which was last year
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
I am sure you have read about the new policy of arresting people at the airport for unpaid student debt. This is however reserved for people who have refused to make arrangements to pay the debt and defaulted on arrangements. So far only a small number of people that have actually been arrested, and those who were arrested were people who had large amounts of debt and refused to make arrangements after being contacted. The vast majority of people will not be affected by this. If you have existing arrangements to pay the debt, and have been keeping to those arrangements, or you have simply not had any contact with Inland Revenue, then you will not be arrested. You should however get in touch with Inland Revenue at some stage and start to make arrangements to pay. If your circumstances are such that you cannot pay more than a minimal amount, you can negotiate reductions of penalties and interest.